Before you apply…
Filling out your application is just the first step in the application process. As an applicant, you will be required to meet the particular requirements of the Apprenticeship Standards of the Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee of the Sheet Metal Workers’ Local 83 and approved by the New York State Department of Labor.
The following are the minimum requirements of the Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a high school or general equivalency diploma with a passing grade in algebra, math I or at least a 47 on the GED math test.
- Take the U.S. Department of Labor BOLT reading and arithmetic achievement test.
- Have lived within the local’s geographic jurisdiction for at least six months prior to applying – which include the following counties: Albany, Clinton, Columbia, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Greene, Hamilton, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren and Washington.
- Have a valid New York State Drivers License – Apprentices may be required to drive company vehicles.
- Have a reliable means of transportation to and from work sites and apprentice school.
- Sign an affidavit stating that they are physically able to do the work required.
- Submit to drug screening at the Committee’s expense – if selected for the program.
For further information applicants should contact the New York State Department of Labor office located nearest their home.
State law states sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability or marital status.
Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.
Prior to your interview you will be required to come to our facility to complete a self evaluation form, sign the physical affidavit and supply a copy of your NYS Drivers License. Your interview will not be scheduled until this is completed.
When you come for your interview you will be required to provide the following:
- A copy of your *High School Transcripts or GED Certificate with scores. You may also provide
copies of College transcripts or Trade School Certificates for classes attended. We are not
requesting a copy of your High School Diploma.
FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS ARE A PART OF THE APPLICATION PROCESS
and each of the three parts are graded.
The three parts are: APPLICATION, ACT TEST and PERSONAL INTERVIEW.
If you are ready to begin the application process click the link below.
The Sheet Metal Workers’ Local Union # 83 Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee is an Equal Opportunity Apprenticeship and Training Program. The SMWLU #83 JATC admits apprentices of any race, color, national and ethnic origin, age or sex to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to apprentices at the JATC.
The JATC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, sex or disability in administration of its education policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, or other JATC-administered programs.
We are required by the United States Department of Labor, Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs, to maintain applicant data by race, gender, veteran status, etc.